Tuesday, September 4, 2007

How to Write a Synopsis

Oh, thank goodness. Somebody asked me to do a post on how to write a synopsis a while back, and I got stuck on the examples part. I was awfully tempted to write a synopsis for The True Meaning of Smekday, which you should all run out and get right now. Or as soon as it's available. Whichever.

Alas, writing a synopsis for it would have ruined the book for those of you who Don't Want to Know the Ending. And writing a synopsis is a lot like writing a book—there're lots of different ways to do it right. Obviously there are even more ways to do it wrong, but if you've done a good job on your book, you can do a good job on your synopsis.

So I was thinking about how best to address this request, when, ta-dah! Nathan Bransford saved me the trouble. Thank you, Nathan.

4 comments:

literaticat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
literaticat said...

I meant to say -- OK OK FINE I'LL READ SMEKDAY.

(I am so totally not into the title, though.)

Anonymous said...

I agree. That title is SO not a hook.

Deirdre Mundy said...

I don't know... I'm kind of curious since I don't know what a Smekday is.

If I saw it on the new books shelf at my library, I'd probably pick it up and read the jacket, at the very least.....